Spectrum is seeking Assistant and Head Cooks for our May 1st to August 1st Tree Planting contracts. To apply, please email [email protected] with your resume and cover letter. Learn more below or click here to view/print the full job description.
Spectrum Resource Group is an integrated vegetation management (IVM) solutions provider with expertise in vegetation management, forest management, and reforestation. We provide these services to federal, provincial, regional, local and Indigenous governments, to the forestry, energy, minds, petroleum, transportation and utility sectors, and to numerous regional invasive species organizations across Canada.
- Prepare nutrient-dense meal plans
- Lunch table, Block treats, Breakfast, Dinner
- Delegating tasks to the rest of the cook team
- Supervising assistant cook
- Constructing food orders
- Tracking budget costs
- Facilitate kitchen set up and take down
- Kitchen and Dining tent must meet Health Department regulations
- Implement Food safety management
Assistant Cooks assist the Head Cook with the tasks listed above. Assistant Cooks must be prepared to work as a team, and accept tasks delegated to them from the Head Cook.
What You Bring
- BC Food Safe Level 1
- Must have high standards in maintaining a clean and food-safe kitchen environment
- Previous tree planting cook experience is ideal, but any experience with food orders, large quantity meal preparation, camp-style cooking, and budgeting will be considered.
- Ability to communicate well with the rest of the kitchen team
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Time management skills to be able to maximize productivity while allowing time for necessary breaks throughout the day
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing conditions
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Physically fit, able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Willing to work, enjoy, and live in a remote setting
- Willing to work long hours and split shifts as needed
- Commitment to spring & summer plant (May 1 to August 10)
- A positive attitude & willingness to contribute
What You Can Expect
- Competitive wages and significant earning potential.
- Spectrum’s camps consist of a: Industry leading kitchen unit, dining tent, shower trailers, latrines, drying facilities, fresh drinking water, and full food service. Each camp has one head cook, and one assistant cook, support staff and who with the help of the camp supervisor, all crew leaders, and all planters, strive to provide a pleasant camp experience.
- Satellite internet.
- Camp sizes range from 60-70 people.
- Professional grade equipment in a large kitchen trailer consisting of: Full size double door fridge, full size double door freezer, flat top grill, propane 6 burner stove top, two industrial size ovens and a professional convection oven. The kitchen trailer is a spacious unit, with running hot water. Lots of counter space, and storage. Extra fridges and freezers are set up outside of the cook trailer and there is an animal-proof dry storage unit for each camp.
- A very proactive approach to safety and injury prevention. Onsite OFA Level 3 attendants who are trained specifically in tree planting-related injury prevention.
- Planters work a 3 day on, 1 day off, shift rotation. These non-production days will be used to prep for the next shift of work, but cooks are encouraged to work on a rotating schedule so that each person may have 1 day off every 5-7 days.
- Camp costs are paid by all employees however, culinary staff have a reduced rate of $10.00 per planting day.
Spectrum Resource Group Inc. provides equal opportunity for employment and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Spectrum is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
All employment decisions at Spectrum Resource Group are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability and conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or in respect of which a record suspension has been ordered, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.